This is a general hint!
Rypticus bistrispinus has a harmful toxin.
As a rule, animals with a harmful poison do not pose any danger in normal Aquarieaner everyday life. Read the following husbandry information and comments from aquarists who already keep Rypticus bistrispinus in their aquarium to get a better picture about the possible danger. However, please be careful when using Rypticus bistrispinus. Every human reacts differently to poisons.
If you suspect that you have come into contact with the poison, please contact your doctor or the poison emergency call.
The phone number of the poison emergency call can be found here:
Overview Worldwide: eapcct.org
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Rypticus bistrispinus (Mitchill, 1818)
Inhabits sand, rubble and seagrass beds, where it uses dead conch shells and burrows under rocks; more common at islands than the continent.
Western Atlantic: southern Florida, USA and Bahamas to the Antilles and Brazil.
Solitary species, inhabiting sandy bottom strewn with rocks.
Rarely observed on reefs.
Like other soapfishes, it has special skin glands that produce an irritating, mildly toxic slime.
Dark red-brown above; side pale yellow or cream, with small, dark red-brown spots; belly creamy yellow.
3 spines on vertical edge of preopercle.