Their venom is a complex mixture of hundreds of different poisons, it injects its victims through a "harpoon-like" fangs of a retractable proboscis (as shown in one of the pictures below). There is no antivenin for a cone snail sting, and treatment is limited to merely keeping victims alive until the toxins wear off.
Why the venom of the snail is so incredibly toxic? Well, the poison has to be so strong and quick so that a "carved" fish is immediately immobilized by the venom because otherwise the fish would swim away, the fish would die anyway, however, the snail would have lost their catch.
Ironically, among the compounds found in cone snail venom are proteins which, when isolated, have enormous potential as pain-killing drugs. Research shows that certain of these proteins target specific human pain receptors and can be up to 10,000 times more potent than morphine without morphine 's addictive properties and side-effects.
Remains to observe, in any case avoid any "handling" of this kind of snail, they are in the position to penetrate with there poisonous sting (radula) even gloves, clothes and neoprene suits.
Cone snail's, so Conus geographus, feeds on fish, snails and worms. They reach a size of about 6 to 12 cm. In the reef they are found mostly under stones, between coral branches, or even buried in the sand. Since they can be introduced with live rock in your tanks we take this Cone snail into the lexicon in order to warn you.